Janet's Law - AED & CPR required in New Jersey Public Schools
Start September 1, 2014 - Become Compliant!
"Janet's Law"; requires public schools to have automated external defibrillators for youth athletic events and to establish certain plans relating to sudden cardiac events. (Click here to read Assembly, No. 1608 Law)
Janet Zilinski was an 11 year old cheerleader from Warren, NJ who died after suffering sudden cardiac arrest. Janet’s tragic death led to her family forming The Janet Fund, which has been fighting to raise awareness and have defibrillators placed at school grounds. The Zilinski family’s tireless fight was the driving force for what ultimately became Janet's Law. For more information about Janet and the Janet Fund please visit www.thejanetfund.org
Beginning on September 1, 2014, the board of education of a public school district that includes any of the grades kindergarten through 12 shall establish and implement an emergency action plan for responding to sudden cardiac events, including, but not limited to, those events in which the use of an automated external defibrillator may be necessary.
It is required that no less than five school faculty members successfully complete and hold a current certification from the American Heart Association. Let ShowMeCPR meet your training compliance. Our friendly staff will come out to your school and teach the American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR & AED course to your facility.
Key Points of Janet's Law:
- All public and non-public schools are required to have an AED by September 1, 2014
- The AED shall be located within reasonable proximity of the gym or athletic field
- The AED must be available in an unlocked location with an identifying sign
- The AED must be accessible during the school day and any other time a school sponsored athletic event or practice is taking place
- A coach, trainer, staff member, EMT or first responder trained in CPR/AED must be present during the event or practice
- Schools must develop an Emergency Action Plan for responding to sudden cardiac arrest events. This plan must include; who gets the AED, who calls 9-1-1, who starts CPR and uses the AED, and who assists rescuers getting to the victim
|8-20 Students||>20 Students|
|COST||$60 per person||$50 per person|
|Minimum of 8 students required for onsite training. Special Discount for NJ Public Schools Only. Quick Reference Handouts Provided. Manual many be purchased separately. Additional fees may apply if you or your facility would like to be listed as additionally insured on our commercial general liability insurance. Travel surcharge of $100 is billed for courses greater then 25 miles of Wayne NJ.|
Recent Schools that are CPR compliant by ShowMeCPR
Away We Grow - Kindergarden- Parsippany NJ
Mahwah Public Library - Mahwah NJ
Rise Academy- Team Charter School - Newark NJ
Newark Collegiate Academy Charter School - Newark NJ
Waldorf School - Princeton NJ
South Orange Department of Recreation after School Program - South Orange NJ
Kean University - Hillside NJ
Schedule a class at your School. Please Contact Us or call 973-694-2893
South Orange after School
ShowMeCPR, Inc. is an authorized provider of CPR and ECC courses of the American Heart Association Training Center in New Jersey.
If you have any question or problems, you can contact our President David Spera at 973-694-2893 or use the contact us page to send us a message.